persona non sequitur

a review of media by a slightly jaded baby boomer.

Sunday, August 23, 2009


Well, my wife asked me to stop buying books for a while. I guess I'll start reading them. Work on a reading program. Try to find the ones I want to read that are hidden behind the crates I put on top of the other crates so they wouldn't fall over. Admit to biblioholism. Actually finish something.

I almost wrote, "throw some away." Can't do that. Cardinal rule.

I have planned on reading the Robert Jordon WHEEL OF TIME sequence, but I limit myself to only copies I find in thrift stores. And maybe Stephen King's DARK TOWER sequence. You can always wait for them to be remaindered. And they can keep a fire going for a long long time.

Find the book HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE A PENIS and post the cover. I only bought it because it was a dumb title. Lots of dumb titles about. SCOUTS IN BONDAGE. THE MAN WHO RODE HIS TEN SPEED BICYCLE TO THE MOON. THE WEREWOLF VERSUS THE VAMPIRE WOMAN. Etc.

4 Comments:

At 8:09 AM, Blogger Pagan Topologist said...

Those look so very organized, compared to my books. Good luck with the project.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Robert Whitaker Sirignano said...

That's an off the wall kind of statement. Can you elaborate, or do your books sit in a big pile at the center of your living room in a vaguely conical shape?

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Pagan Topologist said...

My books are scattered around the house in random stacks. Sometimes a book which has been missing for years and I think I must have lent to someone and not had returned will surface unexpectedly. Going through my house is a delicate operation because of the general clutter, but a large fraction of the clutter is stacked books and magazines.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Robert Whitaker Sirignano said...

Herein, I have stacks hiding a few things. I was trying to locate Edgar Allen Poe's EUREKA: a prose poem, but it was sucked up in the kipple and I really want to read it, but am unwilling to buy another copy. Several times I've bought copies of books, only to have the errant book show its covers in a place I pass by each day.

Kipple is Philip K. Dick's term for "trash that grows".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home