persona non sequitur

a review of media by a slightly jaded baby boomer.

Friday, April 11, 2008

POPCORN FACTOR

I've failed to mention this in my previous posts about attneding movie shows. I got the insight when I attended a screening of FROM DUSK TILL DAWN. For me it was kind of exciting. Most of the actors I had not heard of before, and didn't know squat about the director. I had just read reviews of film. Housemates backed off on seeing it, and Giani had to work.

People already know the movie. I'm not reviewing the film, but the aftermath.

The credits rolled, and people left. I stayed to catch the credits. This person, that person...hmm hmm...

Lights went up, and all around the theater were tubs of popcorn, largely uneaten. They spilled out on the floor or sat in seats. Not small amounts either. Large tubs of popcorn, 1/5 finished.

My observation: the gorier the flick, the less popcorn eaten.

This observation has held on to a few others films. I don't see every slasher flick, but when I see a few disturbing films, I see less consumption of theater goods.

Though I haven't gone into a "Garfield" movie to see if people give up eating out of sheer nausea from what they see on the screen. Ditto THE CHIMPMUNK MOVIE ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home